COVID-19 update Tuesday 17 March, 2020
The health and wellbeing of the entire MACS community is our highest priority. We are closely monitoring the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic and are continuing to liaise with the relevant trusted global health authorities and the Victorian Department of Health and Human Services, since news of the virus first emerged, and are taking all necessary preventative action.
Please do not visit our MACS facility if you experience flu-like symptoms such as fever, cough or sore throat, or have recently been overseas, or have been in contact with anyone who may have had the virus.
Please take a moment to read this information.
WHAT ARE CORONAVIRUSES AND COVID-19?
Coronavirus (COVID-19) is a new virus that can cause infection in people, including severe respiratory illness.
If infected with COVID-19 most people get a mild infection, others get a severe infection causing hospitalisation. Elderly people and people with underlying health conditions such as diabetes, heart and respiratory conditions are more likely to develop a severe form of COVID-19.
How we respond to COVID-19 is a changing situation and there are new restrictions being put in place regarding attending large gatherings to help protect your health, safety and wellbeing.
PERSONAL HYGIENE IS THE KEY – We all know good hygiene is the best way to stay healthy. Here are some simple, but very important things you can do to reduce your risk of being infected:
• Wash your hands often, with soap and water for at least 20 seconds (sing Happy Birthday to yourself twice whilst you are doing it!!), DRY with paper or hand dryer.
• Try not to touch your eyes, nose or mouth.
• Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you sneeze, if you don’t have a tissue cough and/or sneeze into your upper elbow.
• Dispose of used tissues immediately to avoid leaving germs on your hands.
• Clean hard surfaces in your kitchens and bathrooms regularly.
• Hand sanitiser should be used when out in community spaces.
If you have any questions or queries, please contact us:
• Bella Chara – Phone (03) 5202 5300
• Home Services – Phone 1300 622 778
• Residential – Phone (03) 5279 6800
Chief Executive Officer
If you suspect you may have the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) call the dedicated hotline 1800 675 398 open 24 hours, 7 days a week. Please keep triple zero (000) for emergencies only.
A trusted source of information is the dedicated page set up by the Australian Government’s Department of Health.
The Department of Health and Human Services has established a hotline where any member of the public can call to seek information on COVID-19 on 1800 675 398. The DHHS website is: https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/coronavirus
For further health information the number for Victoria’s ‘Nurse on Call’ is 1300 60 60 24
Smartraveller is monitoring closely the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak and its implications for overseas travel. https://www.smartraveller.gov.au/news-and-updates/coronavirus-covid-19